Sunday, October 31, 2010

Why do authors do this???


So, last night I was looking for a good book while waiting for Trick or Treaters to come by. I wanted something a little spooky but not too intense. After browsing Amazon, I decided on An Ice Cold Grave, book #3 in the Harper Connelly mysteries, by Charlaine Harris.

Now. I've read one of the Sookie Stackhouse books and it was just way too sexy for me. But the Harper Connelly books weren't too bad. At least, from my memory they weren't. I remembered them as great mystery stories, great main character, complex plots, some swearing, some hints at affairs, but no deep descriptions.

Safe read for a yummy Halloween night. Right? I downloaded it to my Kindle with great anticipation of losing myself in a good story.

Oh, I was soooo wrong!

Yes, the characters were amazing. 5 out of 5 stars.

Yes, the plot was wonderful. 5 out of 5 stars.

Yes, the writing was captivating. 5 out of 5 stars.

But...

The shockingly erotic, embarrassingly descriptive, play-by-play sex scenes put this book into the XXX category for me and effectively dropped it to a 1 star book (and that is only because everything else was so amazing). Add to that the swearing (think f-bomb) and level of violence (serial killer) and I was so disappointed. I can't recommend it to anyone.

Unfortunately, Charlaine Harris and the Harper Connelly series now goes on the list of great writers/series I will never read again because they're just too gross.

© 2010 It's a Book Affair

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think of this book? Due to recent spam comments, I've been forced to turn on comment moderation. You comment has been received and will display soon.