Thursday, October 7, 2010

Altared Plans by Rebecca Talley


Altared Plans
byRebecca Talley

LDS Romance
250 pages, 5.5x8.5, softcover
Target reader: LDS Women/Young Adults

Cedar Fort
978-1599552804
Release Date: June 5, 2009



From the publisher:

The perfect day. The perfect marriage. The perfect groom. What could go wrong?

Caitlyn has been preparing for her perfect wedding all her life. But when her fiancé abandons her at the altar, Caitlyn vows she ll never love again.

Going to BYU doesn't make that easy, however, and avoiding all social contact can only last so long. When her bishop calls her to be the mom of her family home evening group, Caitlyn is suddenly thrust into surprising circumstances that leave her flustered the attention of two unwanted suitors.

Travis, the FHE dad, has plans to woo Caitlyn by using his cowboy charms while Chase has his own ideas for dating her. Will Travis or Chase change her mind about love? Or will it be deja vu?

Read Chapter 1.

View book trailer.

Getting stood up for a date is bad. For a wedding, it's even worse. But for a temple wedding? Devastating.

Altared Plans is a fun little romance that takes place mostly at BYU in Provo, Utah. Caitlyn's heart has been broken; she's been hurt and healing slowly. She meets Travis and there's an immediate interest that she tries to deny. Hurt again, she turns to Chase, the safe guy. We've all been there, haven't we? Do we go with what's safe or what's exciting?

A light, clean romance with some comic scenes, this is not the type of book I normally choose to read, but I know Rebecca and I won a copy in a contest, so I gave it a read on a slow Sunday afternoon. I would have liked to see more of a relationship developing over time between Caitlyn and Travis. I felt like it moved too fast, especially after the way she'd been hurt by her previous fiancé. I wasn't fully convinced by some of the other characters.

The plotting and pacing were fine, although, as I said, I felt the romance developed to quickly with little depth to base it on. Dialog was good. Ending was good. Nothing spectacular but it was good. To truly make me love this book, Travis' ex-girlfriend would have had to be a psycho killer who kidnapped Caitlyn and tortured her and... oh wait. Wrong genre. (Sorry)

But for what it is—a light romance—it was okay, a fun afternoon of reading escape—and it didn't make me feel like I had to wash my brain out with soap when I was done. Fine for teens of all ages. Nothing that will embarrass you if your mother reads it.

If you like light clean romance, you'll like this book.



Plot:

Characters:

Ending:


Cover: I thought it was great!



Content Ratings

Language:

Violence:

Drugs/Alcohol:

Immorality:

Values/Themes:

Age Appropriate: Nothing in here I wouldn't let 12+ year olds read.

Writing Mechanics: A few little glitches, but not bad.


© 2010 It's a Book Affair

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think of this book? Due to recent spam comments, I've been forced to turn on comment moderation. You comment has been received and will display soon.