Thursday, August 6, 2009

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs


Moon Called (Mercy Thomson #1)
by Patricia Briggs

Paranormal
304 pages, softcover
Target reader: Adult

Ace
978-0441013814
Release date: January 2006



From the publisher:
"Werewolves can be dangerous if you get in their way, but they'll leave you alone if you are careful. They are very good at hiding their natures from the human population, but I'm not human. I know them when I meet them, and they know me, too."

Mercy Thompson's next-door neighbor is a werewolf.

Her former boss is a gremlin.

She's tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire.

But then, Mercy Thompson isn't exactly normal herself...and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.

Read Chapter 1
About that cover: First, let me say that I read Moon Called as an e-book and I didn't see any of the Mercy Thompson covers until the fifth book was out. I was shocked to find out that she is so scantily clad. Nothing in the books led me to believe that she would dress that way. Had I seen the covers, I probably would not have read the book—and that's too bad because it's really very good. So I used my Photoshop skills to blur the cover.

Mercy Thompson is a skinwalker; she can turn into a coyote at will. She was raised as part of a werewolf pack. She left the pack in her teens and never went back. But Samuel, her former werewolf boyfriend from Montana, has shown up in her life again and he's at potential odds with her werewolf neighbor, Adam, the pack leader in the tri-cities area of Washington state. In this book, Mercy is caught between werewolf/vampire politics as they try to discover and control a group of rogue werewolves.

I love the character of Mercy. She's strong and independent, smart, stubborn—but she's also vulnerable. All of the characters in the book are well crafted and believable. The plot is unique and captivating. It's fast-paced, enthralling, complex and very well written.

I was a little uncomfortable with the amount of swearing and the sensualness of the vampires, but other than that, it's a great urban fantasy. I highly recommend it.

Plot:

Characters:

Ending:

Cover: Too sexy. I'd be embarrassed for anyone to see me reading it.



Content Ratings

Language: Quite a bit of swearing; some of it strong.

Violence: A werewolf attack. Most of the violence is not in real time.

Drugs/Alcohol:

Immorality: Sensuality, but no overt physical acts.

Values/Themes: It's vampires and werewolves.

Age Appropriate: Teens are reading this, but I think it's definitely for adults.

Writing Mechanics:



© 2010 It's a Book Affair

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think of this book? Due to recent spam comments, I've been forced to turn on comment moderation. You comment has been received and will display soon.