Monday, August 24, 2009

Altered State by Gregg Luke


Altered State
by Gregg Luke

Medical Thriller
288 pages, 6x9 softcover
Target reader: Adults

Covenant
978-1-59811-832-2
Release Date: June, 2009



From the publisher:
Homer and Morgan Winegar believe they may have finally found happiness in the quiet college town in which they have settled. Perhaps now in their new life together with Morgan’s nine-year-old son, they can each leave a troubled past behind. But when Morgan’s psychology students begin exhibiting bizarre behavior, the couple quickly becomes entangled in an experiment headed for catastrophe.

Someone is illegally administering a mind-altering drug to unwitting students. With the potential for millions of dollars in profits on the line, the pharmaceutical designers are more than willing to set aside morals to test the limits of the subconscious and mind control. As the growing ranks of test subjects fulfill increasingly disturbing commands, Homer and Morgan race to discover who’s pulling the strings—and how they are doing it. But as the final stages of research point to a deadly calamity, events from the past threaten to shatter the couple’s fragile trust—just as they need it most.

Will they be able to overcome the forces that threaten to pull them apart and find a way to stop the impending tragedy?
This is a great suspense/medical thriller. It's set in Logan, UT on the USU campus, and although there are references to the LDS community, there is no preachy doctrine here. The characterization was good and all the characters were believable. There is a lot of science involved and even though I really know nothing about that stuff, it seemed believable to me.

I liked the idea of a mind control drug in the energy drink. I hate those drinks and think they are evil. Sort of. I give my kids a hard time when I catch them drinking them. It was vindication for me to see them used as the delivery system for the drugs. :)

I felt that the resolution, where they find the back door command to the system running the mind-control music a little to easy. I was also disappointed that we never really find out about Homer's past. I suppose it's not vital to the story, but if you're going to put it out there that he has a troubled past, I think we need some hint of what it was.

Overall, I really liked this book and think others that like fast-paced, mind-controlling, mass murderer wanna-bes will like it too.

Plot:

Characters:

Ending:

Cover:



Content Ratings

Language: No swearing.

Violence: Fist fights, mind control, intended mass murder.

Drugs/Alcohol: The students drink an energy drink with lots of caffeine.

Immorality:

Values/Themes: An LDS book with themes on repentance and forgiveness.

Age Appropriate: For adults and older teens.

Writing Mechanics: There were several info dumps. I suppose it's necessary to give us the needed science background but I think it could have been woven in a little more seamlessly.


© 2010 It's a Book Affair

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think of this book? Due to recent spam comments, I've been forced to turn on comment moderation. You comment has been received and will display soon.