Saturday, July 7, 2007

Storm Front by Jim Butcher


Storm Front (Dresden Files, Book 1)
Jim Butcher

Paranormal/Horror
384 pages, softcover
Target Reader: Adults

ROC
978-0451457813
Release Date: April 10, 2000



From the publisher:
Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates. No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Harry Dresden is the best at what he does. Well, technically, he's the only at what he does. So when the Chicago P.D. has a case that transcends mortal creativity or capability, they come to him for answers. For the "everyday" world is actually full of strange and magical things—and most of them don't play well with humans. That's where Harry comes in. Takes a wizard to catch a -- well, whatever.

There's just one problem. Business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name. And that's when things start to get... interesting.

Magic. It can get a guy killed.

Read Chapter 1.

I had to go back to the bookstore for more books while on vacation because I'd read everything I brought with me, plus some. The first book I chose was Storm Front (Dresden Files, Book 1)by Jim Butcher because it is the first in a series about Harry Dresden, wizard. These novels are what the new Sci-Fi channel series, The Dresden Files, is based on. I quite like the television series, so I thought I'd give the book a chance.

In this first book, Dresden is called in to consult with the police on a truly disgusting double murder. Ewww. He also takes on a seemingly unrelated private case, helping a woman track down her missing husband who dabbles in black magic. While the plot was pretty good, and the book helped fill in some back story that the TV show leaves out, I was not as impressed as I'd hoped I would be.

The clever dialog from the show is hit and miss in the book. Bob, a semi-corporeal ghost on the show—and a fun character—is merely a talking skull in the book and not very funny. I missed the play in their relationship that is part of the TV show.

The book drags a bit in places. It also contains some sexual innuendo and naked body descriptions that I could really do without and which is completely unnecessary to the story line. There's quite a bit of swearing too. All of which are not part of the TV show.

I give the show a 4.25, but I only give the book a 3. Will I read more of the series? I don't know. I might try one more, but I will definitely check it out from the library, not buy it.

Plot:

Characters: Perhaps this would get an extra star if I hadn't seen the tv show first.

Ending:

Cover:



Content Ratings

Language: Way too much.

Violence: Unnecessarily graphic and gruesome.

Drugs/Alcohol: Some drinking.

Immorality: Naked bodies, affairs.

Values/Themes: Dark.

Age Appropriate: Although read by many teens, this is definitely for adults.

Writing Mechanics: Not as tightly written as I like to see.

© 2010 It's a Book Affair

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think of this book? Due to recent spam comments, I've been forced to turn on comment moderation. You comment has been received and will display soon.