Thursday, July 12, 2007

Blood Trail by Tanya Huff


Blood Trail (Vicki Nelson, Book 2)
Tanya Huff

Adult Paranormal/Horror
272 pages, softcover
Target Reader: Adults

DAW
978-0756405021
Release Date: 1992



(see note below)

From the publisher:
For centuries they had coexisted with ordinary humans. But now death had invaded their London, Ontario farm. It was clear that someone had learned they were werewolves and was determined to destroy them. The only one they could turn to for help was vampire Henry Fitzroy. And, forced to hide from the light of day, Henry called upon Vicki Nelson for assistance. Yet, as silver bullets continued to take their ghastly toll, Henry and Vicki began to fear they might not be able to trace the blood trail of destruction down before it was too late...

Series Books: Blood Price

The second book in the Vicki Nelson series, and book two in the The Blood Books, vol. 1 Omnibus, which I bought while on vacation.

Again, we have a lot of swearing and sensuality, but not as much gory violence as in Blood Price. I wish there was a "Clean Flicks" for books where you could buy an edited copy because I really liked 95% of this book. But the other 5% bothers me enough that I wouldn't want my teenagers to read it.

The 95% that I didn't hate was really good. This book was even better than the first in the series. The characters are developing well and becoming more interesting. I loved the portrayal of the werewolves. Daniel/Shadow was so cute he just about stole the show. I really liked the contrast between human societies and that of the werewolves. Human greed, prejudice and fanaticism create the evil in this book; the werewolves and vampires are the good guys.

Vicki is still tough as nails, yet vulnerable. Still funny. Still fighting with Celluci. Her relationship with Henry the vampire heats up and we see a love triangle developing. We also see the beginning of grudging respect between Celluci and Henry.

I was more uncomfortable with the 5% in this book than I was with the first book. I'm not sure if I'm going to read more of this series or not. It's pretty easy for me to decide to avoid books that clearly cross the line, even if they are wonderfully crafted (George R. R. Martin and Stephen King). But when it's just a toenail over my comfort zone (okay, maybe the whole toe)...I hate that! I already bought the second omnibus so I'll probably read it, but I think I'll wait awhile and give my brain time to clear out the icky stuff.

Also, they typos again. It was really bad. I can't believe DAW would put out something with this many mistakes in it. Where is their professionalism? Their pride? Their proofreader?

I give this book a 4.5 for story, but drop it to a 2.5 for swearing and sexuality.

Plot:

Characters:

Ending:

Cover:



Content Ratings

Language: More swearing than I'm comfortable with.

Violence: Lots of murder and violence; gorey.

Drugs/Alcohol: Drinking.

Immorality: Overt sexuality, homosexuality. Too graphic.

Values/Themes: Dark.

Age Appropriate: For adults—definitely!

Writing Mechanics: Mostly editing/typesetting errors.


© 2010 It's a Book Affair

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think of this book? Due to recent spam comments, I've been forced to turn on comment moderation. You comment has been received and will display soon.