Friday, May 21, 2010

33 Habits of a Really Good Man by Yvonne Swinson

33 Habits of a Really Good Man
by Yvonne Swinson

LDS Non-fiction/Memoir
96 pages, softcover
Target Reader: Adults

Cedar Fort, Inc.
978-1599554105
Release Date: May 8, 2010



From the publisher:
Bill Wells was not a famous man, but he left an invaluable legacy for those who knew him. He kept a little black notebook full of quotes, proverbs, poems and stories that inspired him. He lived his life by these words of wisdom and taught his children to do the same.

Compiled by his daughter, Yvonne Swinson, 33 Habits of a Really Good Man shares Bill's legacy with you. Each mini-memoir includes one of Bill's favorite bits of wisdom and how making it a habit can lead to a "really good" life.

I cried the first time I read 33 Habits of a Really Good Man—both because it was written about my uncle who passed away not too long ago and because of the valuable lessons found within its pages.

Some of the "habits" included in this book are:
  • Dream Big
  • Laugh Often
  • Stretch Your Mind
  • Seek Truth
  • Slow Down a Little
  • Pray Often
  • Love

This isn't just a book of quotes, although there are plenty of quotes scattered through it. It takes a habit, then gives us an example of how to use and develop it in our lives.

I can't pick a favorite. I love them all and the ones I like best seem to change from day to day, depending on what my current struggle is. Here is just one of the ones I love:

Do Your Best: While on a sales call, [Bill] went into a showroom to introduce himself. He said, "Hello, I'm Bill Wells, ad I work for Such–and–such Company..." The showroom manager said, "Stop right there. The last experience I had with your company was lousy, and I don't want to talk to you. I don't want to hear from you. Leave."

[Bill] picked up his briefcase and left. He walked outside. He set down his briefcase and straightened his tie. And then he picked up his briefcase and went back in. The man said, "I thought I told you to leave." [Bill] said, "You did, but you didn't tell me I couldn't come back." He brought the nan's business back to the company, and he and the man became good friends.
This story has been particularly meaningful to me as I've been working the last two months, starting a new business.

I love this little book and it makes a great gift for birthdays, graduation, or Father's Day. In fact, all four of my boys are getting a copy later this month. (Shh, don't tell.) It's a great guide to being a good man and a good dad. In fact, it's a great guide to being a good person.

If you're looking for a good gift, or want something that's a fast and feel-good read, this book is wonderful. I give it a full 5 out of 5!

Content:

Writing:

Cover:



Content Ratings

Language:

Violence:

Drugs/Alcohol:

Immorality:

Values/Themes:

Age Appropriate:

Writing Mechanics:



© 2010 It's a Book Affair

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think of this book? Due to recent spam comments, I've been forced to turn on comment moderation. You comment has been received and will display soon.