Thursday, September 18, 2008

I Hate Seagull Book!

I have this problem. When I'm feeling stressed, I need to treat myself. In my town, there is a Seagull Book and a Wal-Mart right across the street from each other. As I head for a treat, I have to make a choice. I can turn right to Wal-Mart and get some chocolate. Or I can turn left to Seagull and get myself a book. Wal-Mart and the chocolate usually wins because 1) they're cheaper, and 2) chocolate gets into my blood stream and changes my mood faster than a book does.

But today, I was feeling guilty because my Wii Fit says I'm up 2.2 lbs this week and I know it's because I've been eating way too much chocolate. So I turned left.

Never mind that I can't afford a new book and I should spend that $15 on paying down business debt.

Never mind that I already have 40 books on my dresser waiting their turn to be read.

Never mind that I don't have time to read right now.

I was going to get myself a new book, gosh darn it!

But I would be responsible in my irresponsibility—I would limit myself to just one.

Then I walked into Seagull and the stress level just exploded because now I had to make a choice. There were all these books that I wanted to read and they were just sitting on the Seagull shelves, mocking me with their bright yellow percent off labels.

Which one do I get?


Do I go for David Woolley's new book, Day of Remembrance? (He won't let Sandra loan it to me, the brat.) I already own volumes 1 & 2. They're sitting on my dresser waiting to be read. And volume 3 is on sale too, but it's in paperback and all my other volumes would be hardback. Hmmmn. . .





Or do I get The Nephite Who Loved Me (currently mistitled as Servant to a King) by Sariah Wilson? I liked her first two books, Secrets in Zarahemla and Desires of Our Hearts, even if they do have a larger dollop of romance than I'll admit to liking. I forgive her because her heroines are feisty and don't put up with anything, even if they are married to prophets.



Do I get Farworld by J. Scott Savage, which I've already read? (Thanks for the ARC, J. Scott.) I really want the hardback copy with the map and illustrations in it because I want it to be available to my grandchildren (now ages 2, 1 & 10 mos.). But if I get a book I've already read today, that won't really satisfy my need to treat myself.






Or do I get Don't Cry Wolf by Clair M. Poulsen? I don't know anything about it but it has a really cool cover and the back liner notes sound interesting. I've read a few of his other books and liked them. Maybe if this one was about werewolves, instead of regular wolves. . .



Or do I get . . . Arrggg!!! Enough, already!


So I gave the saleslady at Seagull a full-on crusty and told her that I hated her store with its crowded bookshelves and mocking yellow discount stickers. She laughed, then rang me up and I walked out with . . .


Her Good Name by Josi Kilpack. Because Josi never disappoints. And we have our home mortgage with Countrywide. (Miss the news report? Click here.) But most especially, I picked this one because I wish I had a pair of gold shoes like the ones on the cover. Not that I could actually wear them, what with me being very old and having a bad back. But still. They would look lovely on my feet now that I wear sandals again.



Then, to help deal with the stress of leaving so many other wonderful titles on the shelf, I went over to Wal-Mart and got some chocolate.



© 2010 It's a Book Affair

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think of this book? Due to recent spam comments, I've been forced to turn on comment moderation. You comment has been received and will display soon.